How to apply for document authentication
1. Instructions for Applying to the Department of Consular Affairs for Authenticating Documents
(1) When applying for consular authentication of notarial certificates for civil purposes, the original notarial certificate, one valid copy of personal passport (or the original note issued to a foreign citizen by the embassy of his/her country in China), and other papers required by the concerned embassy in China must be submitted.
(2) In case of applying for consular authentication of documents for business purposes, what must be submitted are the original notarial certificate (or business certificates or bills), one valid copy of personal passport, one original recommendation letter issued by the enterprise concerned, and other papers required by the concerned embassy in China. Besides, the enterprise concerned shall appoint its personnel to handle the procedures for consular authentication.
(3) If applying for consular authentication of notarial certificate for adoption of child, one original note issued to the adopter by the embassy of his/her country in China, one valid copy of the adopter's personal passport, and one copy of adoption certificate must be submitted.
(4) In case the applicant, enterprise or individual, cannot come to the Department of Consular Affairs personally to go through procedures for consular authentication, they can entrust the work with local foreign affairs offices or other authorized agencies (please visit http://www.mfa.gov.cn/chn/gxh/tyb/ for list of authorized local foreign affairs offices and agencies).